Saturday, June 16, 2007

Technical Problem

A few months ago my good friends Mango and Tottie made a trailer for my first novel, Leaf. In lieu of the recent excitement about Dean Koontz's trailer competition for The Good Guy and Darren Shan's trailer for his new book, I decided I would load my trailer on to youtube and post it on my blog.

Sounds like a good idea, right?

Starting the youtube account was easy, but then I got into problems. Iseult recorded the trailer from her sony handycam dvd onto ordinary dvd and opened it in windvd on the laptop. She has successfully captured pictures from movies plenty of times using this programme, and assured me that she could also capture video. However, she found that the 'quickclip' function only works for - you guessed it - quick clips of no more than 30 seconds and it doesn't record sound. This isn't too bad, because we can always loop in the sound for the trailer, but it might cause a problem for later projects. Also, windows movie maker is causing problems with editing the clips together. All in all, the task is proving extremely time consuming if not near impossible.

When things didn't turn out easy, Iseult came crying to me for assistance. Now, I know I can sort it out but I thought I would turn to my friends out there on the world wide web first to see if they have any tips for me. What I want to know is, what is the easiest and/or best way to get clips (with sound) from dvd onto your computer and posted onto youtube. Ideas for editing software would be great too.

Come on fans, there must be one of you out there who is pc savvy.

Mungs xxx

3 comments:

Valpot said...

Well, Munog, I wish I could help. I have Ulead Video studio 5, which is quite good for editing (gives you frame by frame access) but takes a VERY long time to render, and so far I haven't been able to get it to look at any video unless I imported it through my analog device...

I also have Presto Videoworks 6, which came with my digital camcorder. It's pretty basic but I don't have the import problem that I do with the otehr one.

Don't know if either will help but you're welcome to try! :) So come up for a visit!

Anonymous said...

Wish I knew what Youtube was...

Anonymous said...

poor mungs - i have no knowledge of what to do